With the title of the oldest botanical garden in the world, the botanical garden of Padua is now more than 500 years old.
Founded in 1545, the Orto, located in Padua’s historical center, was initially dedicated to the cultivation of medicinal plants. For this reason, botanical gardens were called Gardens of Simples.
Over the centuries, the Botanical Garden of the University of Padua has become a center of scientific innovation, the site of many international exchanges.
In 2014, it inaugurated a new section, the Biodiversity Garden, interweaving botany and anthropology, telling the story of the relationship between man and plants over the centuries, with five new greenhouses displaying five different biomes. T
he one in Padua was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1997 and no wonder why.
Record of age and variety, today it includes 3500 different species of plants from various parts of the world.